Friday, January 22, 2010

Co-sleeping is the best!


I know I haven't posted in a while, and I just wish I had more time, because I really love my blog. But I saw this in one of my baby center update emails I got, and was totally upset by what this NURSE of all people said about co-sleeping.

Holding Vs. Sleep
I'm a concerned dad. After doing some research about my son's constant need to be held in order to sleep, I have found out that they really shouldn't be left alone if they need to be held, and it helps them not feel neglected. However, my one concern is that my wife sleeps while holding our son and I'm afraid of her rolling over, or have him fall off while they're both sleeping. Lately, I've been performing "watchdog duty" to make sure that doesn't happen, but that's interfering so much with MY sleep, that I've ran a red light once due to sleep deprivation. So, should I trust her instincts to wake up when needed?


REPLY
Parents that co-sleep are my biggest pet peeve! I am a nurse and a mother of a 12 week old baby who is exclusively breast fed. He sleeps in his own bed AND sleeps through the night no problem. I nurse him and rock him and sing him to sleep then put him in his crib (sometimes still awake) and just walk away. If he cries I pick him up and rock him again and put him back in his bed. When he was a few weeks old this happened maybe 3-5 times a night (now he goes right to sleep) until he got the idea, "this is YOUR bed, this is where YOU sleep". Babies are smart they will get the idea.
posted 11/04/2009 by a BabyCenter Member
Report this answer

REPLY AFTER THIS
We exclusively co-slept with our 2 1/2 year old daughter until our son arrived, at which point she transitioned no problem to her own bed in her own room. Our son is now 5 months and in our bed. I cherish bonding with him at night, especially when our days are pleasantly chaotic. Following recommendations made by sleep sharing advocates, I have never worried about crushing or smothering either of them. I firmly believe that the bond co-sleeping helped strengthen has as made for 2 well adjusted children. The toddler rarely tantrums and the baby hardly whimpers, knowing Mom is close by. I recognize that how I raise my children is but ONE way and certainly not perfect. News flash...neither is yours! And just in case you were wondering nursey-nurse, my son is exclusively breast fed, my daughter breast fed in the morning and at bed time, AND both sleep through the night as well as Mom and Dad (I do not believe that profession matters one iota but for nurses who do, I am an ER doc).

This made me so freaking happy it wasn't even funny! I just hope the nurse that posted that reply about co-sleeping being a pet peeve read what that dr. wrote. Co-sleeping is the best thing for a baby...and unless you are drinking or doing drugs, you will not roll over or hurt your baby at night, you will know. At first I thought I should wean Aiden out of our bed because so many people were like your kid will always want to sleep with you until they are 10, I don't care and I dont' believe that to be an issue. After having Brittany (thank you B), Annalise, and Trendon here, I realize screw all those others who were like put your baby in his own bed, and plus Aiden knows where he wants to be, def. since the night before he got sick the only place he would sleep was w/ us. Its just best, he feels secure when he is scared and I'm so happy to have him in our room. When he wants or when he is ready, he can go back to sleeping in his bed. As of now though he is sick and needs his mommy and daddy!

Aiden is one of the happiest babies i've ever seen...and i'm not being partial to being his mom, he is just happy...he has never had colic or even been upset about teething like other babies, and I think a lot of it has to do with how much we do hold him, and love him. Adam and I read an article at my lactation consultants office right after he was born, and this pediatric dr. said you can not spoil a baby by giving him too much affection, or holding him too much...spoiling children is buying their love when they are older not just giving them attention and care, and we believe this is how we should raise him.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sista.
    With the exception of the chaotic experience that was traveling, Annalise has always been a very happy and easy-going child.
    I completely chalk it up to being held whenever she needs comfort.

    ReplyDelete